Cyclamen production for city gardens
Selecting the compost
- It should have good drainage properties
- Blond peat and perlite
- Avoid black peat which is too compact
- pH of 5.8-6.5 during cultivation
- Basic fertilization: 1kg of PG mix per m3 (cubic meter)
- When producing for flower boxes
- Day: ventilation from 15 to 18°C (59 to 64.5°F)
- Night: heating from 13° to 15°C (55.5 to 59°F)
- When producing for beddings
- Reduce the set values by 2°C
- Monitor hygrometry to prevent botrytis
Tips for growing cyclamen during summer
- Moderate watering
- Light intensity from 35,000 to 40,000 Lux (3250 to 3700 fc)
- Early spacing
- Final spacing 4 weeks after repotting for ventilating and providing light
- Pots with good drainage
- Regular watering – Avoid extended periods of too high humidity or dryness
- Fertilization N:P:K = 1 : 0.7 : 2 / EC = 0.8
- Openings on maximum ventilation
1 / 0.7 / 2
1 / 0.7 / 3
1 / 0.7 / 2
1 / 0.7 / 4
Before planting :
- Removing the flowers during summer (end of July / August), promotes reflowering
- Conduct their cultivation in “hard” conditions
Tips for planting cyclamen in beddings
Before planting :
- the proper series according to the desired use
- If a grower produces his plants in a “hard” way, it will be necessary to remove the flowers during summer (end of July / August), in order to promote reflowering.
- The right spot: ideally this would be under shelter, or close to shelter or trees, in order to avoid streaming of rain water. Ideal orientation: South East or South West (avoid facing South and North).
- Fertilizers and conductivity:
- Make sure that the EC is lower than the one of the substrate in the pot to encourage the development of the roots
- Place a slow-release fertilizer in the soil, for example “Osmocote” (Slow starter)
- Watering: water the soil properly the day before planting
- Period: plant them around October 15th in the South and from mid-August in the North
- Flowering: up to January, sometimes even March – April depending on the location and the geographical area
- Acclimatization: Minimum 15 days to 3 weeks in beddings
- Watering should be localized, if possible with drip irrigation (not by spraying)
- Watering: in the morning, short regular and localized watering (drip irrigation), when the surface of the soil is dry (avoid asphyxiating the bulb).
- Maintain the visual effect by cleaning them every fortnight / 3 weeks
- Remove the damaged flowers which will be replaced by new flowers
- Against botrytis by spraying in the midst of the plants.
- Cyclamen do not like frost but they withstand temperatures down to -2°C (28°F) temporarily
Which Morel cyclamen varieties for which use?
Select the Metis® for the miniature effect in beds close by, flower boxes, small compositions.
Go for fancy varieties! Surprise passers-by with VICTORIA (2 available colours), or VICTORIA mixed with Purple or Magenta varieties. For a mixture with silver leaves: 4 colours, Magenta, Persian Rose, Purple or Salmon.
Select the Tianis® for small subjects with more flower impact, for the most remote beddings.
For a flashy and fancy effect, TIANIS® provides in its range FANTASIA® varieties with very contrasted bicolour flowers. They combine with pure white recalling the well-marked white hem of the FANTASIA type. The dark colour at the centre of the flower enhanced by the white edge gives the possibility of obtaining luminous beds, even in the undergrowth, in a darker location, even visible at nightfall. Excellent strength and robustness.
Select the Premium for their generous “bouquets” with average-size flowers, very floriferous, for well visible beds. The « city » variety by excellence.
A remarkable red, and extraordinary flame mix, with very intense colours, enhanced by a white edge.
- Select the Latinia® for their large flowers, central flowering, floriferousness. For beddings with a large impact, visible from the distance, away from passages.
Top choice for the standard colour intensity or for originality and the flash contrast of FANTASIA® varieties.
Select the Halios® for their elegance and their large imposing flowers. Keeps well indoors (in a non-overheated place…). Many shades and various fancy shapes afford maximum choice.
One or more large magnificent subjects in a nice planter in an entrance or hall of a public building, and an effect is guaranteed.
Today, you may find the FANTASIA® varieties among nearly all the Morel series.
Good to know: with FANTASIA® flowers, we guarantee maximum shelf life of the plant, as well as long-lasting flowers within the plant.